Monday, September 26, 2011

Should I stay or should I go

The tail end of the summer was pretty busy and chaotic for the Swans. By mid-August we had been 6 months on the market, with many showing and many dinners eaten out, and still no sale on our house. We considered other options such as renting out, or renovating then renting out or re-trying to sell, etc. But as we made our preparations, a new option of instead selling the Katy house ( Matt's parents home that we were planning on moving into temporarily while they are overseas) started to be discussed.  This kind of sudden change in plans and uncertainty usually makes me crazy, and as Matt will attest there were definitely a few not so endearing moments while trying to sort out what we should do.  But for the most part I was collected, and honestly just relieved at the possibility of simply staying put in our house. We would be saying goodbye to a great opportunity to save on mortgage payments, but wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of renters, moving the rest of our stuff out to Katy, we could stay in the house and neighborhood that we love, and most importantly we could start using the excess energy and time we have spent taking care of two houses to work toward some goals we have had to put aside.
So did we stay or did we go?  We stayed.
After lots of thought, list making, and discussions over it all, we decided it would best for us to stay put, and take ourselves out of the emotional decision for Matt's parents to sell or not sell their house. And as it turns out they decided to sell... and quickly. So the last 3 weeks have been dedicated to moving our previously moved stuff back to our house, and helping to clean out Matt's parents house to get ready to sell. It was busy to say the least, but thankfully task accomplished and their house has already sold!  (Enter huge sigh of relief!) I know I should be sad that their house is selling, but honestly I am just so glad this moving to Katy chapter and summer is finally over. We are back at home in Houston. Settled and happy. Bring on the Fall!

4 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of that show Love it or List it. I'm glad the chaos is over for you guys and you get to stay in your house. That would have totally stressed me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so that's the story! I can totally see why it would be a relief to stay put fir now! And I'm glad you're in Houston! Closer for our visit, plus I want to see where you live! Hopefully you'll have better luck selling your house next year, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that all the craziness in your life got figured out, and I'm SO happy that you're staying in Houston!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a breather for a minute and then start planning your next move.... closer to me! Our coffee shop awaits!

    ReplyDelete