Sunday, May 8, 2011

Growing in to 30

I recently got my hair cut. I had been growing it out for the last 2+ years as somesort of dramatic self discovery/ coming to the end of my 20's desire to see how long hair made me feel. Who knows maybe long hair was the missing link that would instantly make me feel more beautiful, intelligent, confident or more settled in to my 30's.  I even fantasized that when I was done growing it really long I would chop it and donate it to make wigs for kids with cancer or something else selfless and kind. That would be awesome, and totally help justify my otherwise narcissistic hair growing rampage. During this rampage I tried many variations of bangs and layers and even dyed my hair dark brown. I figured anything was better than going back to my old short blonde hair style that has stuck with me just like hoodies and flip flops for the past 2 decades. And then... last week I was sitting at a hair salon for a trim and I found myself telling the stylist... "just highlight it blonde and chop it all off. I am tired of my quest for long hair. I don't know how to style it or manage it, and the truth be told I really don't like how it looks on me." And so she did. And ironically I LOVE IT! I know it is just hair, but I feel more like myself than I have in a while. I have realized that maybe I was taking the "growing" a little bit too literally. I didn't need to change/grow my hair to change and grow as a person. And having the same old boring hair definitely doesn't mean that I am still the same person I was back in high school, or even the same person I was 7 years ago when I got married.  And so with my 30th birthday behind me I feel happy as I reflect on who I am now and who I hope to grow into during my 30's besides someone who still loves hoodies, flip flops and a low maintenance short hair style....
Here is a 30 year old me and the new version of my old haircut. 

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your hair!!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so beautiful, I love your new haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your haircut and the colour! I agree, I think short hair suits you, you look so pretty! I just chopped my hair a few months ago and it felt so good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, you always look so pretty with whatever hairstyle you have going. I am always jealous that you can go back and forth between blond and brunette so effortlessly and naturally looking.

    I struggle with the same thing...for heavens sake I have the same hair I did in high school, but every time I do the short or straight thing I just hate it and I don't feel like me either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, I love your new hair. I know who you are when I look at you now. I did notice your new hair the other day but was too stressed to tell you. Also, belated happy birthday! We are so bad at that. Sorry. Merv is cooking something up for birthday gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!!! I love it. It really does suit you, Jan. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete