Monday, February 20, 2012

Party at the Park

 In an effort to make up for having a lousy birthday that is crammed in right between Christmas and New years birthday, we threw Wheels a party the end of January. We talked it up big time making sure that he knew it was a special 2 year old party just for him. He helped deliver and mail the invitations (that he was very excited about because they had his picture on the front) and we counted the sleeps for his special day.
 The morning of his party Wheeler was a crazy man. His energy was fueled by the cupcakes he was watching me make, the treat-bags with bubbles and toy cars sitting on the counter, and the excitement of having Grandma and Papa Swan staying at our house. (They moved back from their year long adventure in Malaysia that same week) I felt like I was equally as crazy. We had decided to have the party at a park around the corner. But the night before it decided to rain. So while I prepared the food, I was also mentally preparing for 10 toddlers and their parents to invade my little house. For those who aren't aware just how neurotic I actually am... the 2 things in the world that throw me over the sanity ledge are last minute changes in plans, and having people see my house in a gross and messy state. So it was good times from about 8:30-10:30. But then the clouds parted, the sun came out and we made it over the park.  Sigh of relief!
The party itself was great and went off without a hitch. We were slightly upstaged by another party going on at the park with a BBQ and gigantic bounce house. Sorry Wheeler. Not for you. But the kids were just happy to run and play on the playground. The weather was beautiful. And we had lots of good food. We were smart and just ordered sandwiches and wraps from the deli. And I got to try out some fun pinterest ideas like rainbow fruit kabobs, and veggie cups with dip.
After lunch we sang happy birthday and blew out the candles ( a few times). Then cupcakes. A Lightening McQueen Pinata. (candy eases the blow of another kid opening presents right in front of you when you are 2.)  And birthday presents.
It was a great day. Wheeler was so excited to be the center of attention (when is he not in our house...) But it felt good to do something extra special and all about him. I don't think it is going to be an every year occurrence. As a first time mom I had little idea how much effort, time and $ goes into throwing a kids birthday party. Maybe by his 4th or 5th I will be ready to attempt it again.
Here are some of the pictures taken by Wheeler's grandpa at the party.











1 comment:

  1. What a fun day for Wheeler! I love that he wad so excited! And how awesome to live where you can throw a birthday party outside in the middle of winter! (even if it almost got rained out). Good job on the first big friend party...neither of my kids have had one yet! (My favorite part of this post is that I've been to that park with you!). :)

    ReplyDelete