Thursday, November 19, 2009

Doula's advice...

We had our last childbirthing class this week. And although I was a bit skeptical about what more I could learn after reading all those expecting books and hearing the advice of my many friends who have gone through labor... I was surprised to learn my #1 favorite piece of baby advice from our instructor "Doula Rhonda" ... that impressed me so much I want to pass it along.
Her very last comment of the course was this:
"In the end it isn't the courses you take, or the birthing plans you make, or all fancy baby supplies you buy, or parenting protocols you chose to do... The most important part of becoming a parent, and the best thing that you can do for your baby is to still develop a loving relationship with and be married to the baby's father 20 years down the road."

Interesting advice from a Doula... especially now days. And although I am not advocating at all that you should stick out a bad marriage for your kids... I agree with this perspective. And it was nice to be reminded that parenthood doesn't trump a marriage relationship... 

1 comment:

  1. That is unusual but great advice. I think a lot of people forget that they have spouses after the kids come. It's so important to have 'couple time', even if it is just the hour after the kids are in bed. I can't remember the last actual date Grant and I went on, but we always make sure to talk and snuggle. You should never be too busy for each other even with all of the feedings and diapers.

    ReplyDelete